Saturday, March 27, 2010

Re: Week 9: 3/21-27 Question 2

2). Give a personal example where you have had selective attention. Why do you think that is? Is there a way you were able to overcome it?

In Harris and Sherblom’s text who say, “Choosing one message over another is called selective attention” (pp.137). The authors illustrate the message conveying by someone that I may choose to listen or pay attention. I absolutely agree with Harris and Sherblom’s ideas because they indicate five reasons for the selective attention that let us have more in-depth ideas covering this concept. For instance, Harris and Sherblom say, “Some things are more important” (pp.138). In this statement, the authors reveal some things are more important that let us choose message and attention over another. With respect of this concept, I want to share an example about the incoming calls that happened in my cellular phone in last August in class.

Last August, in the middle of the communication class, there were few incoming calls from Hong Kong appeared in my cellular phone. Under this issue, I selected to pick up the call outside of the classroom. This particular call came from my brother who told me that my father passed away in the hospital. After I hung up the phone, I told my professor that I could not carry on the lecture because of my grief. When I read the chapter 7, the selective attention, I fully understand the important things are the motivation to select our attention.

In terms of the above said example and the reasons for the selective attention by Harris and Sherblom, I still support that some things are more important can drive us to the selective attention in the middle of the class, at the office, publicity or the events.

2 comments:

  1. Kam,
    I really agree with what Harris and Sherblom about Choosing one message over another, which is called selective attention. The statement about some things are more important, that let us choose messages and attention over another. For example,it can be like you are stressing over something at work, who is going to pick up your kids, and or a family crisis. Most professor though getting interrupted would understand if there is a need to leave from a lecture. I am sorry to hear about the lost of your father, that was really brave of you to share a story/situation like that. That is a really touchy subject. I hope everything is going well for Kam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orvizzle,

    Thank you very much for your comments to my blog. In order to get rid of my grief for my father passing away, I always let myself very busy at home and at school. I am fine at the present stage.

    Kam

    ReplyDelete