Saturday, May 15, 2010

Week 16: 5/9-5/15 Question 1 CMC and FTF

1). How does CMC differ from f2f communication? (Think outside the box).

In Harris and Sherblom’s text, they believe, “Computer mediated communication (CMC) describes communication that takes place through a variety…include computer, audio, and video conferencing systems, computer chat rooms, electronic mail, bulletin boards” (p.318). In addition, the authors offer, “In a face-to-face (FTF) meeting participants simultaneously exchange more types of information emotional, attitudinal, relational, and contextual-along with the informational content” (p.326). In these expressions, we understand that the participants use the computer, internet, email, and other electronic media to exchange the ideas and messages which are CMC. On the other sides, we exchange the ideas simultaneously in which the ideas and information can directly show our attitude, relation, and emotions that call face-to-face. Under these two differences, I want to share some examples in the following paragraphs.

The comm141P by Professor Perez is the online class that we only turn in our papers, blogs, comments, and all examinations through the computer. Under this issue, we don’t have to talk directly FTF but only send the messages by emails. We can do our assignments at any time and at any places when we have a break at school, office, or during the midnight. Clearly, the CMC does not have any time boundary in the day or at night, but it depends on our availability. Usually, I turn in my assignment when I have a break at school in the afternoon or at the midnight because these time slots are my availabilities.

For the face-to-face (FTF) issue, I want to talk about the other communication classes at school. Clearly, I should come to class according to my schedule as this is the must. The benefits that I can get from the FTF in class are the interaction, decision making, problem solving when I have the small group discussion with my classmates.

Today, I always use CMC technology to talk with my children because they are at work and at college. Undoubtedly, the web-cam is the most important thing to connect three of us at the same time which depends on our availabilities in different places. Sometimes, I want to have FTF gathering with both of them because we can hug together to show our care and bonding in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment